October 22, 2016

Let's Talk Books

Bud is apparently out of commission this week so Sunday Stealing is taking on a bit of a different flavor today.  Feel better soon, Bud, and in the meantime...cheers to all us thieves!




Bookish Questions

1. How long did it take you to finish your last book? I've been under pressure to get quite a few books read for book reviews this month, so....I'd say about 4 days.

2. How many times do you stare at your bookshelves each day?  Maybe once or twice and that's only the one that is in the living room.  The rest of my bookcases are in another room or I'd probably be looking at them all day.

3. How many Goodreads friends/books do you have?  I really don't know. I signed up years ago and I still get notices, but I am notoriously bad about keeping up with my book lists so I just gave up.

4. Do you ever quote books in public?  Not really.  I talk about them, but I rarely quote them.

5. Do you ever re-read books?  Absolutely!  There are many books I've read a second time and a few like Little Women that I've read so many times I've lost count.

6. Do you judge a book by its cover?  Not often.  The cover may be the thing that initially hooks my attention, but I want to know what a book's about before I buy it.  The exceptions might be books that I buy specifically to collect.

7. Do you take pictures of your books before you read them?  No.  Do you?

8. What are your biggest distractions from reading?  Facebook and work.

9. Where is your favorite place to buy books?  I still like Barnes & Noble, but I rarely buy new.  The majority of my books come from used book sales, yard sales, auctions, and flea markets.

10. Do you always have a book with you?  Not always, but most of the time.

11. Do you read during breakfast?  I do.  My husband watches the news so he doesn't mind.

12. How many hours a day would you say you read?  Probably 2 or 3.

13. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?  I'd have to say less because of working more and Facebook.  I used to read a book every day or two.  Now I probably average one book per week, maybe reading 2 once in a while.

14. Do you consider yourself a speed reader? In the strictest sense of it? No. I can whip through a book rather quickly if I'm really into it...like the new release from a favorite author.  I keep telling myself I'm going to pace myself each time I get a new one and then I get into it, can't put it down and finish it in a day.  Then I want to kick myself because I have to wait 6 months or a year until the next release.


15. Do you read in bed?  Not any more.  I used to nearly every night, but, eh, the hubby and I are getting older and tired-er.  We get in bed and we sleep.

16. How old were you when you got your first library card?  Probably about 12.  

10 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday Stealing! I enjoyed reading your answers. Mine will post at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow. I've never read Little Women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one classic that really is as good as its reputation. Have you ever seen the movie? There are 3 or 4 versions, I think. My favorite is the Elizabeth Taylor one.

      Delete
  2. I should have said that Goodreads is one of the distractions I have from reading. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not buy used books. I am so allergic to molds and smells that unless a book is pristine I can't abide it. Which is kind of sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awful! I would be so sad...and much poorer.

      Delete
  4. Goodreads is a distraction. But a lovely one. It's like working in the stacks again.

    I read, too, during breakfast because during recovery from knee surgery DH brought me breakfast in bed. Then he thought it was great to keep doing in order to keep me out of the kitchen in the morning! He has it all to himself that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He got what he wanted and you got more time to read. That's a win-win!

      Delete
  5. I reread books more when I was a kid, and Little Women was always my favorite, along with the Black Stallion books and any book by Albert Peyson Terhune.

    As a used book store volunteer, I'm happy to hear you buy used books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all of the Black Stallion books as well. Horses and adventure...what was not to like?

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave me a comment. I do try to respond to all comments....unless you're a spammer. If you're a spammer....GO AWAY!