September 4, 2016

Sunday Stealing: The Mad Hatter's Meme

Welcome to Sunday StealingToday we owe a special thanks to "Cat" from the blog Sweet Memes for the tip that led to this week's questions.

The Mad Hatter's Meme

What’s the meaning or inspiration of your blog’s title? "I carried a watermelon" is from the movie Dirty Dancing.  There's a scene near the beginning when one of the kids working at the resort has Baby help him carry watermelons up to the cabin the staff kids are having a party in.  It's where Baby first meets Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze) and is struck so dumb that when they are introduced all she can spit out when Johnny wants to know what she's doing there is "I carried a watermelon."  She is mortified.  My daughter and I used the phrase for years when we did something stupid.  You know, those moments that are mortifying at the moment, but that we all ultimately survive and that are kind of funny later on.

What do you consider your biggest strength? It wasn't always so, but I have learned to be forgiving of others.


What do you consider your biggest weakness? If I'm not careful, it's overthinking things.

Tell us why we should like your favorite band.  Most of you know I love me some Toby Keith.  I will be the first one to admit I don't always "love" his commercial radio hits, but I guess you have to put out there what will sell.  Those don't do him justice, though.  My favorite songs of his are those that never make it on the radio or some of the hits he covers for fun.  Check this one:





Who is your favorite model of all-time? Why?  I can't say that I have one.  Christie Brinkley was huge when I was younger, so maybe her?  She's been in some movies I like and I liked her first husband (Billy Joel) a lot.

Does it bother you when people talk about their pets? Why? Not unless they go on and on and on.  I'm an animal lover and like to talk about mine to some extent, too.


Tell us about your favorite holiday.  I like Thanksgiving best. It's such a low-key, relaxing day....especially since my mom usually does the cooking and our son and his family spend it with his wife's family (we get Easter and we share Christmas). It's just lots of food, watching movies and football, and playing games. It's like a final deep breath before all the hoopla of Christmas starts.

What was the last fabulous meal that you ate? Where were you? It was probably my birthday lunch at Olive Garden.  It wasn't so much the food, though Olive Garden is good (just maybe not "fabulous").  It was the company and all the fun we had that made it fabulous.


What’s your lucky number and why?  I really don't believe in luck, but I like the number 9.  I have ever since it was my uniform number back in high school for softball and basketball.

What are five things you hate? Hillary Clinton (sorry for those of you who like her....feel free to hate Trump, though I can't say I "love" him, either), our 2-party political system, eggplant, self-centered people who talk nonstop about themselves and never give you a chance to say anything, and the drivers who wait until I am right on top of them to pull out in front of the bus (and then make the very next turn), 


What are five things you love?  With all of our problems I love this country and the freedom we have to express our opinions and disagree with each other, my family, my dogs, God, and everything about Fall.


Tell us a secret you can because other than us, who’ll read this anyway?  Keep it under your hat, but did you know.....the Pope is Catholic?  Shhhh.

What is the favorite body feature of yourself? I don't know...maybe my smile or my hands...I've been told I have "piano player hands" long-fingered, graceful, expressive.  

Is there a tattoo that you want? If you don’t have one, gun-to-your-head so you have to get one, what would it be?  I have one...a sweet little fish with a starfish, shells, and seaweed on my right ankle.  I think about getting "Walk by Faith" tattooed on the side of my foot with little footprints.  My daughter and I have talked about getting mother/daughter tats, but I don't know if it will happen or not.  We can't seem to agree on one.

What do you love about yourself?  I'm willing to keep learning and trying new things.

What do you hate about yourself?  My weight.

Who is someone you miss?  My grandmother.  I was closer to her than anyone.

11 comments:

  1. Grandmother is a good answer to that last question. I miss mine, too. And you know that if we got together and had a chat, we would find we are on the same ground, politically. We just look at it in different lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Everyone is just being so negative this time around. It used to be that we all had different opinions and managed to not feel the need to shove it down anyone else's throat or declare them evil for thinking differently. I find myself pretty disgusted with our society as a whole these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandmother has been in my dreams lately. I miss her wit and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How odd. I've had a few dreams lately that included my grandmother or at least her house. I wonder if it means anything?

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to learn about the name of your blog because I've wondered just what the meaning behind it is. Love it!! The five things we hate and love...I left out people because it said "things" or Hillary would have been first on my hate list! Happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a video clip from the movie with a short explanation when the blog was over on Wordpress. I guess I should include it here, too. One of these days. There are so many techy things that need doing that I don't know how to do...like link the blog to Facebook. Oh well.

      Delete
  5. Everything about fall = yes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comment about the two-party system interests me because I'm hearing it a lot lately. The time to start working on it would be now ... for 2020. As one who never sits on the sidelines (I'm going to start volunteering for your hated HRC next week) I encourage you to find other like-minded people and get started. It's empowering to be part of the process, and imagine how exciting it will be if there's a third party Prez and YOU have been part of put him/her there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was involved in the elections up to my eyeballs last time. I worked in (your hated) GOP office and was getting very into the political game and that's the problem as I see it, for both the Democrats and the Republicans. It's a "game." They really don't care about what's best for the people or who the candidate is, they care about their party winning and having the power. And I'm not going to get into it, but I also served as an observer at the polling places to make sure everything was on the up and up. I will never know because they wouldn't let us even get close enough to hear the names of the people signing in to vote. I am fed up with our government. We need a completely clean sweep and someone in charge that is strong enough to get the job done and there is no one in the current picture or on the horizon that I have any real faith in. If and when a movement starts that has a real chance of changing things I will be the first in line to volunteer. In the meantime, I will continue to stay informed and vote for whichever candidate I see as best. And I have to say that calling any of the choices this time around "best" is a real stretch.

      Delete
  7. Thanksgiving is great because there's no pressure (unless you are the cook - which not surprisingly I've never been -). Thanks for playing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. the two party system..Hate it. Makes so many of us voiceless. And thumbs up to our freedoms, we still have more than most in the world. Have a good rest of the week, Stacy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave me a comment. I do try to respond to all comments....unless you're a spammer. If you're a spammer....GO AWAY!