Joining in with Sam and the gang for Saturday 9.
Saturday 9: It's a Man's Man's Man's World (1966)
Since Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the American worker, we are highlighting the hardest working man in show business: James Brown. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Before he was able to support himself as a musician, James Brown shined shoes, boxed, picked peanuts and delivered groceries. He admitted he didn't enjoy any of those jobs. What was your least favorite job? I'd have to say that was working in the childcare department at a grocery store. Hated every second of it.
2) What job have you enjoyed the most? Youth director at a church.
3) James loved performing and in the mid-60s, played 335-350 dates/year. Do you have time off this weekend? Or will you be working? I'm off for the whole three days. My husband and I are planning to get a bunch of stuff done outside since it's supposed to be sunny, dry, and not ungodly hot or humid.
4) With that grueling schedule, James spent a lot of time on the road. Do you enjoy traveling and staying in hotels? Or are you a homebody who prefers to sleep in your own bed? I love traveling, but I'm no fan of hotel beds. They are the worst! I don't get much sleep when I am away from home.
5) While Millennials are the largest generation in the workforce, millions of Baby Boomers are still part of American labor. Do you think it's easy or hard for people of different generations to work together? Or don't you think age matters? I think every situation is different and that it depends on the people and work involved. I will say that I don't believe there has been a more difficult time for the older and younger generations to work together...just a reflection of the divisiveness of the times.
6) 72% of employers report that they give their employees sick days. Tell us about a time when you called in sick, but weren't. I've done it once or twice when there was something I had to do because my work doesn't like to give you days off. They kind of figure you have time during the day between runs, holidays, weekends, and the whole summer...take care of business then. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. They've gotten tougher to do that with though. They now require a doctor's excuse.
7) According to the 2010 Census, 5.9 million Americans regularly work from home. Is working from home something you have/you would enjoy? Or do you benefit from interaction with coworkers? I think I would like it, but I'm not sure I would be very good at staying on task....that whole A.D.D thing.
8) 12% of workers report they prefer to report for work early -- before 7:00 AM -- so they can get more done. Are you a morning person? Left to my own devices I am a night person, but I can be a morning person if that's what my schedule requires. Give me some caffeine and a few minutes to loosen up the muscles and I'm good to go.
9) The NFL season starts on September 8. How do you think your team will do this year? I have to admit I haven't paid that much attention yet, but my team is the Steelers...you never count them out. They did okay last year with a lot of new faces. They have experience now. I think they will hold their own. I don't know about another trip to the Super Bowl, but that would be great.