August 16, 2016

Let's Do This

Still running tired...as evidenced by the fact that I just woke up from an hour long snooze sitting here.  Man, I hope I can get back on some kind of schedule that works once school starts.



Speaking of that...only two more weeks of summer vacation.  It really hasn't been much of a vacation.  I mean with the whole truck/car situation I've mostly been stuck at home all summer, but hey, I wasn't driving the bus so it counts.

My feelings about my husband's truck haven't improved, really.  If anything, his feelings about it are deteriorating. (He mentioned something about wanting to set it on fire the other day.) We are pretty sure that the fix is a simple little part that just "pops right on."  The problem is that you have to take about half the engine apart to get to it.  My man doesn't have enough experience to take it on and he doesn't have all the tools he'd need anyway.

There is some good news.  Distant cousins of mine who have a garage think they can fix it.  We are taking it to them tonight to look at it, anyway. If it turns out they can't help us, we've scrounged up another garage in town that will work on diesels.  Just an FYI in case you or someone you love ever thinks about buying a diesel truck...there are very few garages that work on diesel engines other than brand (Ford, Dodge, Chevy) garages, which are RIDICULOUSLY expensive.

This little procedure came with an $8000 price tag at the Ford garage!
You'd think they would have replaced the fuel pressure sensors at the time.
You'd think wrong.

Ah, well....I'm learning to control negative thinking so that's enough dwelling on the whole truck thing.

I'm watching Dr. Oz.  He's got a guy on talking about intermittent fasting.  I have a couple of friends who practice this method of dieting.  Depending on which expert you are listening to, the premise is that you don't eat for 12-16 hours of the day.  For example if you eat your final meal of the day at 8:00 in the evening, you wouldn't eat again until somewhere between 8:00 and noon the following day.  At that time you can eat until 8:00 that evening again. Some programs say you can eat anything and that after your body adjusts you won't overeat.  Some restrict types of foods.  The one on Dr. Oz is advocating just 800 calories a day....that's not much!

The point is, my friends swear by it.  They say it makes the body burn stored fat before you put more in.  They are trying to get me to give it a try.  I am thinking about it.  I have a couple of books to read.  I'll keep you updated about what I think, learn, and try.



I am also considering the purchase of a Total Gym.  You know, the exercise machine that Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley have been endorsing for years. I am finding that I need to do some serious strength building and this seems like a realistic option.


This is the model I'm looking at.  It's the basic one.  It still costs more than I've ever spent on exercise equipment, but they have a nice deal right now....$1 for the first month and then easy payments for 8 months.  Also, they are offering free shipping!

There are a couple of more deluxe models (the top one costs nearly $4000!), but I don't think I need them.  I can add attachments to this one if I find I need to down the road.

I love that it folds up easily and will stand against the wall, out of the way when not in use.  I love that it uses your own body weight for resistance....right now I'll have plenty of resistance going on.  Ha,ha!

Yesterday I celebrated my 52nd birthday.  It's past time to get serious about my health.  I've said it before, but something is shifting in my mind.  Part of enjoying and making the most of these empty nest years is having the best health possible.  I'm ready to do what I have to do.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I could do just 800 calories a day, but I'm anxious to hear what you decide. Please do keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to have to see how that goes. The book I'm reading doesn't say to cut calories. He says you can eat whatever you want within the allowed break-fast hours. According to him, you will probably overeat at first, but then your body will get used to it and it will work. I don't know if I can go a whole 19 hours between eating, though. At least he starts you out slowly bumping breakfast back to noon and still having supper. Then slowly bumping lunch back to 5:00 which is when he says break-fast should be...from 5:00pm thru 10:00pm. No food all the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave me a comment. I do try to respond to all comments....unless you're a spammer. If you're a spammer....GO AWAY!