Since I'm up and the shopping urge has passed I'm thinking it's a good time for the Saturday 9, the weekly quiz inspired by somebody's favorite song. This week the inspiration comes from Jan & Dean, so let's get going and have some fun!
Surf City (1963)
1) When the song was written, "Surf City" was a fictitious town.* Tell us a song that is set in a real place. All I can think of is Frank Sinatra belting out New York, New York.
2) In the song, Jan and Dean sing about riding around in a 1934 station wagon, which means the car was 29 years old when the song was recorded. How old is your vehicle? My car's a baby...only a year old.
3) Are you good on a surf board? Having never been on a surf board, I technically don't know, but a fairly good guess would be...no. I have horrible balance and don't see surfing ending well.
4) When you spend time out in the sun, are you careful about applying sunscreen? You'd better believe it. I have pale, freckled Scot/Irish skin. There is no such thing as "tanning." I just become a deeper shade of pale or sans sunscreen I've had more than one 2nd degree burn. Not a fun experience.
5) Dean's original partner was Arnie Ginsburg. When Dean was drafted into the Army, Arnie didn't feel like waiting so he abandoned show business and went back to college. Today he holds several patents. What is something you wish someone would invent? A machine that folds the laundry. Or a self-cleaning toilet. Or I kind of like the idea of that thing in the Jetsons cartoon where Jane only had to push a button and out slid a perfect dinner already cooked.
6) Jan was a perpetual student who juggled college with recording. He not only graduated from UCLA, he completed two years of medical school at the UC Irvine School of Medicine. Have you ever considered going back to school? Yeah, but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up so what's the point?
7) In 1966, Jan was sidelined by a serious car accident. During the years that he was unable to perform, partner Dean became a graphic artist. He designed logos and album covers for Steve Martin, Diana Ross and others. Do you feel you respond most to words, pictures, or music? I would have to say words and music, but then half of music is words and music speaks to the emotions quite strongly.
8) In 1978, CBS made a TV movie about Jan and Dean. If they approached you about a made-for-TV movie of your life, who would you like to play you? I would choose Sandra Bullock, but they'd probably cast Melissa McCarthy. Hollywood never gets it right.
9) Random question: Growing up, how did you learn about the birds and the bees? (From books/the web, from parents, from your friends...) Well, it wasn't from the web since that didn't even exist yet (thanks for making me feel OLD this morning). I guess it was mostly books and friends since my mom's idea of "having the talk" was to hand me a book.
That's it for this Saturday so if you'll excuse me I have some dogs to wake up. No way are they going to sleep all day after getting me up at 4:00. Enjoy your day and try to keep cool....my corner of the world has finally reached that 6th circle of hell temperatures you've all been complaining about.
See you tomorrow for Sunday Stealing!