Oooo...color me excited! This week's Saturday 9 is based on one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite groups...Hotel California by the Eagles.
Hotel California was suggested by fellow player, Country Dew, and if you're not familiar with the song, you can listen to it here.
Saturday 9: Hotel California (1977)
1) Composer Don Henley says this song is about the "journey from innocence to experience." Where do you find yourself on that journey? Are you more innocent, or experienced? At 51 I'd guess I'd have to say I've been around the block a time or two and yet, I think I've managed to not become cynical or jaded about things and some things I have maintained at least a bit of innocence about. That doesn't mean I'm naive or dumb about stuff, so don't try to put one over on me.
2) The lyrics refer to the "warm smell of colitas." Do you know what it is that the Eagles noticed in the air? Weed. Colitas are the buds.
3) The girl in the song had her head turned by luxury, including jewelry from Tiffany's and Mercedes Benz autos. Do you consider yourself to be materialistic? Maybe a little. I mean, I do enjoy my stuff...heirlooms, antiques, books...but if it all went away tomorrow I wouldn't be devastated. Well, maybe about the books, but the rest? I only have it for this life anyway. It won't add a minute to my life, cure a disease, give love or anything else. I kind of consider myself a caretaker....I take care of the antiques for now so someone else can enjoy them later.
4) This recording has been lauded by music publications for its long guitar solo. Are you good on the guitar? Bahahahaha! I have no known musical talent. Next question.
5) There's an error in the lyrics and Don Henley can get a bit testy when interviewers bring it to his attention. Here's the lyric: "So, I called up the captain and said, 'Please bring me your wine.' He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969'" Do you know what's wrong with it? After much deep thunking...is it that wine is not a spirit? Liquor is consider spirits, hence Pennsylvania's Wine & Spirits stores. If that's not it, I don't have a clue.
6) Known as the Eagles' drummer, Henley now spends less time at his drum kit. Sitting at that angle for an extended period of time hurts his back. Sam believes this proves all those warnings she heard from her parents about good posture are true. Do you pay attention to your posture? I do. With as much time as I spend driving if I don't, I end up with an aching back and it totally sucks to have to drive for several hours with an aching back.
7) Joe Walsh is considered the wild man of the Eagles. Think of your circle of friends. Who is the most unpredictable? Probably Helen.
8) In 1977, Star Wars premiered. How many Star Wars movies have you seen? Four. I've seen the original 3 and the first sequel. I've never had any desire to see any more of them.
9) Random question: "Nosocomephobia" is the fear of hospitals. Are you nosocomephobic? I don't like hospitals (spent way too much time there with my dad over the years) but I'm not afraid of them.