June 7, 2016

The Ultimate Organizer

In making the switch over to the new blog, I'm trying to save some old posts...some going back more than one blog.  On my last move, the one to my own domain, I had help and we just moved everything in mass.  Well, my friend did.  I have no clue how that is done.  So if you will be patient with me, I've copied and saved most of them that I deem worthy of rereading and from time to time I will repost them to this blog.

Today is a repost day.



Do you ever look around your house and see….

mountains of laundry…

stacks of dirty dishes…

a layer of dust on everything…

the crumbs of the snack you had 3 days ago on the carpet…

everything everyone has carried into the house piled on the kitchen table or counter…

the kids’ toys strung out from one end of the house to the other…

glasses abandoned with an inch or so of (now unidentifiable) liquid?

It just makes you want to put your head down and cry sometimes, doesn’t it? Or maybe you try to ignore it by leaving the house or turning on the television or computer?  Whatever your method of coping, I can be fairly sure you’re also stressed. That’s just a fact of life for us women.  We get a lot of pressure from the world and let’s be honest, even if we’re Christians, we get pressure from other Christian women to be the “perfect” Proverbs 31 or Titus 2 Woman.  

I know that isn’t the intent of those lovely women of God who write books and blogs on the subject.  They are trying to help us get it right, but it can make those of us out here in the trenches feel like we don’t measure up, which brings even more stress than the wet towels covering the bathroom floor.

We feel like we always need to be doing.  If we could just get organized and keep on top of everything, we’d feel better about ourselves and our homes and we’d be able to relax.  We just know it!

Has that ever worked out for you?  It hasn’t for me.  I usually end up feeling more stressed if I can’t get ahead and do what I think I should be doing and then in my stressed out state I get grouchy and act in ways I later regret.

So, what’s a busy, overwhelmed woman to do?

Sit down.

Seriously.

Look at Luke 10:39-42 (NIV)

39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42but few things are needed—or indeed only one.f Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Martha was stressing over all the work that needed to be done to care for her guests.  Mary, on the other hand, put off her work to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to him.  When Martha complained bitterly about the unfairness of it, Jesus told her that it was Mary who was in the right and implied that Martha should stop and spend time at his feet as well.

And that is what we need to do FIRST.  The laundry will still need washing, dinner will still need to be prepared, the floors will still need to be mopped, but not until after we spend time with the Lord.

It has taken me a lot of years to learn that and put it into practice, but I can’t deny that my days go much smoother when I take the time to read the Word and pray first and do you know what I pray for?  I ask the Lord to order the hours of my days that those things He wants me to accomplish will fit in my day and that the Holy Spirit would help me do those things keeping in mind that whatever I do I do for Him and His glory.


When I do this, the day is more relaxed and everything just seems to fall into place without stress.  It is when I forget that I find myself getting frazzled, but it’s never too late to stop at the point you are at and ask the Lord to help you get your priorities straight.  He is the ultimate organizer of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave me a comment. I do try to respond to all comments....unless you're a spammer. If you're a spammer....GO AWAY!